Þingvellir National Park & Borgarfjörður
Rent a Land Rover Defender (for up to 7 people) and travel in time in Þingvellir National Park where the Vikings established the first parliament, and in Reykholt, a notable historical town.
Activities on this tour:
- Visit Europe’s biggest hot spring Deildartunguhver
- Walk around Reykholt medieval settlement
- Visit the waterfall of Hraunfossar
- Stop at Húsafell forest
- Walk around Þingvellir National Park and UNESCO world heritage site
The Þingvellir & Borgarfjörður Tour takes you to one of Iceland's most notable historical sites.
Þingvellir National Park is a UNESCO site where the Vikings established world's first democratic parliament in AD 930. Þingvellir is also located in a rift valley affected by the North American and the Eurasian tectonic plates separation.
In summer time (Jul - Oct) you can take the Kaldidalur (4wd) highland road between Þingvellir and Borgarfjörður. It goes at the foot of Langjökull, serving breathtaking views of the glacier*.
In Borgarfjörður region, you visit a little town of Reykholt, which used to be one of the most important medieval settlements, and home of Iceland's best-known politician and author, Snorri Sturluson. The surroundings of Reykholt are equally exciting. There is Europe´s biggest hot springs of Deildartunguhver, and Hraunfossar, an impressive series of waterfalls.
* A visit to the Langjökull Ice Tunnel or a snowmobile tour on the glacier can be added to this tour for an additional cost upon request.
What's included in the Þingvellir National Park & Borgarfjörður tour?
Included in this tour
- Pickup & return from hotel in Reykjavík area
- Land Rover Defender with unlimited mileage & CDW insurance
- WiFi connectivity in the car
- Map of Iceland and detailed itinerary of your tour
- Pamphlet about driving in Iceland
- Optional meeting with travel consultant
- 24 hour emergency service
- Taxes & service fees
Not included in this tour
- Gasoline / Diesel
- Personal Travel Insurances
- Additional activities
- Meals or drinks
- Entrance fees unless otherwise stated
- Parking and road tunnel fees
- Any services not listed under list of included items
Explore the Þingvellir National Park & Borgarfjörður tour day-by-day
Reykjavík - Húsafell - Þingvellir - Reykjavík
Today you explore Borgarfjörður with an option to visit an interesting Settlement Centre in Borgarnes. Then you drive inland to Europe´s biggest hot springs, Deildartunguhver. Just around the corner, further to the East, there is the little town of Reykholt, which used to be one of the most important medieval settlements in Iceland. You continue driving to impressive Hraunfossar, a series of waterfalls formed by the streams from the lava field created in an eruption of one of the Langjökull volcanoes. The nearby area of Húsafell, with its mild weather, forest and hot springs, attracts many visitors, incl. Icelanders keen on camping here. Finally you head to Þingvellir National Park. It is a UNESCO site and a place of Icelandic Parliament foundation in AD 930. Þingvellir is also located in a rift valley that marks the crest of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge caused by the North American and the Eurasian tectonic plates separation. You have a chance to walk along the part of it, called Almannagjá gorge.
Driving distance is +-282km.
Book the Þingvellir National Park & Borgarfjörður tour
1. Choose a departure date2. Book your day tour!