Snæfellsnes & Snæfellsjökull
Rent a Land Rover Defender (for up to 7 people) and explore magnificent Snæfellsnes Peninsula that in relatively small area covers diverse and fascinating landscape, incl. Snæfellsjökull National Park.
Activities on this tour:
- Hike around impressive rock formations at Hellnar and Arnarstapi
- Visit the historical trade hub of Búðir
- Hike around the Snæfellsnes National Park
- Hike to the waterfall of Kirkjufellsfoss with picturesque view over to Kirkjufell mountain
- Walk around the old fishing town of Stykkishólmur
Snæfellsnes Peninsula represents Iceland in a nutshell. The broad southern coastal plain turns into bird cliffs and impressive rock formations. The northern part serves the dramatic volcanic peaks from one side and the shore of Breiðafjörður with commonly found white-beaked dolphins and whales from the other.
One of the biggest gems of the entire region is located on the westernmost tip of the peninsula Snæfellsjökull National Park. It covers the area of a distinctive cone shaped volcano covered by a glacier. Snæfellsjökull is active and powerful, but dormant now. There has been numerous mysterious tales and legends written about it. It gained main fame, though, by Jules Verne's novel “Journey to the center of the Earth”, where Snæfellsjökull was believed to be a gateway to this center. Some people also believe it to be a sort of mystical "energy center".
When driving around the peninsula, you also have a chance to visit several charming villages on your way, like Búðir, Grundarfjörður with the majestic Kirkjufell mountain, Stykkishólmur etc.
Do not miss the chance to visit magnificent Snæfellsnes Peninsula!
* This tour is also available with a private guide. Please send us a message through the question form if you would like to request a private guide with your booking.
What's included in the Snæfellsnes & Snæfellsjökull tour?
Included in this tour
- Pickup & return from hotel in Reykjavík area
- Land Rover Defender with unlimited mileage & CDW insurance
- WiFi connectivity in the car
- Map of Iceland and detailed itinerary of your tour
- Pamphlet about driving in Iceland
- Optional meeting with travel consultant
- 24 hour emergency service
- Taxes & service fees
Not included in this tour
- Gasoline / Diesel
- Personal Travel Insurances
- Additional activities
- Meals or drinks
- Entrance fees unless otherwise stated
- Parking and road tunnel fees
- Any services not listed under list of included items
Explore the Snæfellsnes & Snæfellsjökull tour day-by-day
Reykjavík - Snæfellsnes - Reykjavík
You drive towards the North to Snæfellsnes Peninsula. Firstly enter its southern part and drive along the broad coastal plain. Then pass impressive rock formations at Hellnar and Arnarstrapi, and visit Búðir on the westernmost tip of the peninsula. Búðir is a small historical hamlet that used to act as a commercial and trade hub for Snæfellsnes during an extended period of Danish trade monopoly. Another attraction of the area is Snæfellsjökull national park, also located at the end of the long arm of the peninsula. There has been numerous legends about this looming glacier and its surroundings, but its main fame was gained thanks to Jules Verne's novel “Journey to the center of the Earth”, where Snæfellsjökull was believed to be a gateway. You continue driving along the coast to the Northern part, which is quite different from the South. The views of dramatic volcanic peaks from one side and lush fjords from the other entertain this part of the ride.You pass by an impressive pyramid called Kirkjufell, one of the most photographed mountains in Iceland. Stykkishólmur is the last stop on the peninsula worth a little detour. It is an old fishing town with charming colourful houses and fairly good choice of restaurants.
Driving distance is +-462km.
Book the Snæfellsnes & Snæfellsjökull tour
1. Choose a departure date2. Book your day tour!