Landmannalaugar & Fjallabak
Adventurous drive on the 4×4 tracks in a Land Rover Defender (for up to 7 people) through the stunning mountainous of Fjallabak Nature Reserve. Top a day with a dip into Landmannalaugar hot spring.
Activities on this tour:
- Stop by the roots of Volcano Hekla
- Explore the colorful area of Landmannalaugar
- Hike through the lava field of Laugahraun
- Soak in the natural hot pool at Landmannalaugar
Fjallabak Nature Reserve, with its precious Landmannalaugar, offers breathtaking scenery. Rhyolite and obsidian turned the hills into a colorful paradise, whereas lava fields spread their gloom in the valleys. Additionally, here and there everything is shrouded in the steams of geothermal springs. It is no surprise that famous Laugavegurinn hiking trail starts right here.
The whole region was formed in the volcanic eruptions and has been affected by geothermal activity. It is a lot of fun driving up and down on the gravel roads, crossing several un-bridged rivers and visiting various geothermal areas and waterfalls. You should definitely take breaks, step out of the car and enjoy the beauty and calm of this wilderness. There are also several hiking trails that you should try out. It is a real journey to the unworldly land.
* This tour is also available with a private guide. Please send us a message through the question form if you would like to request a private guide with your booking.
What's included in the Landmannalaugar & Fjallabak tour?
Included in this tour
- Pickup & return from hotel in Reykjavík area
- Land Rover Defender with unlimited mileage & CDW insurance
- WiFi connectivity in the car
- Map of Iceland and detailed itinerary of your tour
- Pamphlet about driving in Iceland
- Optional meeting with travel consultant
- 24 hour emergency service
- Taxes & service fees
Not included in this tour
- Gasoline / Diesel
- Personal Travel Insurances
- Additional activities
- Meals or drinks
- Entrance fees unless otherwise stated
- Parking and road tunnel fees
- Any services not listed under list of included items
Explore the Landmannalaugar & Fjallabak tour day-by-day
Reykjavík - Landmannalaugar - Fjallabak Nyrðri - Reykjavík
The tour begins by heading right to the highlands. Drive through the rough lava fields and multiple mountains, fording several rivers on the way. When the landscape becomes unbelievably colorful with bubbling hot springs, it means that you reached Landmannalaugar wonderland. The fuss at the base is caused by numerous hikers starting here the famous Laugavegurinn trail. You can find peace in the hills above though. There is also a popular hot pot where you can take a bath. Afterwards you can explore Fjallabak Nature Reserve. The whole region was formed in the volcanic eruptions and has been affected by geothermal activity. Its majestic multi-coloured rhyolite and obsidian mountains together with numerous lakes and jaggy lava flows creates true wonderland. It is a lot of fun driving up and down on these gravel roads, crossing several un-bridged rivers and visiting places like Ljótipollur crater or Frostastaðavatn lake. You should also take breaks, step out of the car and enjoy beauty and calm of this pure nature.
Driving distance is +-363km.
Book the Landmannalaugar & Fjallabak tour
1. Choose a departure date2. Book your day tour!